Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Life in Mexico

When I first arrived at La Ola, I felt like I was dreaming.  I had seen so many pictures of the new place that I felt as though I were having an out-of-body experience.  Things here are excellent!  On the property we have many fruit trees (pomegranates, mangos, bananas, coconuts, grapevines, and other Mexican fruit that I can't pronounce yet.)  We also have a small horse named Lucherro (and that may not be the correct spelling)  He's 12 years old and really sweet.  I walked over to the small field yesterday, and he started walking toward me when he saw me.  It was so sweet!  The kids love to ride him and a few can ride really well.  One of the girls, Ana, takes lessons for therapy, and she can get up to a good canter on him.  Mili, the youngest girl likes to piggy back on me instead.

My Spanish is improving, I hope.  Sometimes one of the house mothers talks really loud to me, but I don't think she's angry or anything.  I think she's just trying to make me understand what she's saying by talking louder.  I just laugh sometimes and she tries again or just gives up! haha!

Can I just say that Skype is one of the greatest inventions ever?!

I will start giving music and guitar lessons today at 2:00 p.m.   I'm pretty excited because the older girls are really excited about learning.  They really like singing songs in Spanish and English.  And they LOVE, My Heart Will Go On, by Celine Dion.

At night I sing them to sleep, and they ask me to sing mas mas mas!  haha.

Well the kids just got back from school.  I'm gonna go down and talk with them for a bit and get some lunch.  I'll update more soon and with pictures!

Love you guys!

Erin.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! It will be so neat to watch the kids grow. God is using you in a powerful way!

    It must be interesting to be on the other side of the talking louder to make them understand me equation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's so weird to be on the other side of that convo! It's hilarious when they tell me the same thing over and over but they slow down a bit, and I still don't get it. ha!

      Delete
  2. mas mas mas! Looking forward to pics! Duddddde, can you ride the horse? I think I rode a horse one time in Smithville. I could've been John Wayne. I could've been...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've ridden the horse a couple of times and the last time they made me go kind of fast and I screamed a bit! I'm going to win his affection though somehow! Even if I have to sneak him carrots! lol.

      Delete
  3. Fruit trees!!! Yes! I smiled at the thought of you as the horse :) I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! But they aren't ripe yet.:( I want some pomegranates NOW! :)

      Delete
  4. I am so happy you are finally there! We prayed for you in staff meeting yesterday and you are on my every day list!! Love you girl...can't wait to read about your adventures

    ReplyDelete